Hello everyone! I’ve had wild cravings for one of my favourite childhood meals recently! So, today I’ll show you how to make amazingly delicious meatballs with tomato sauce. My grandma used to make me those when I was little and I still love everything about them! They just bring back so many childhood memories and that’s why for me these meatballs are a true comfort food. I usually use pasta as a side dish but you can probably get away without it as well. Although my grandma never made them spicy, I’ve discovered that if you add one red hot chilli pepper or cayenne pepper powder and serve them with fresh bread, they make a perfect starter. But this time I want my kids to eat it too and that means we’ll skip the chilli part today due to them not being the biggest fans of spicy food 🙂
Meatballs With Tomato Sauce Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR MEATBALLS:
- 500 g minced meat (beef or 50% beef and 50% pork)
- 2 slices of white sandwich bread
- 1 big red onion
- 3 gloves of garlic
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of milk or water
INGREDIENTS FOR TOMATO SAUCE:
- 500-600 g whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 garlic gloves
- bay leaf
- black pepper
- tablespoon of brown sugar
INSTRUCTIONS FOR TOMATO SAUCE:
- Firstly, chop garlic gloves finely.
- Then heat non-stick skillet to medium heat, add a little olive oil and garlic, fry it until it is lightly brown.
- Now add bay leaf, peeled tomatoes and season with black pepper, salt and brown sugar.
- Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes on low heat.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEATBALLS:
- First take a medium bowl and add milk, then add white sandwich bread slices.
- Now peel and chop garlic and onion super finely and add to the bowl.
- Then add an egg and minced meat.
- Season everything with salt and pepper.
- Then it is time to dive right in and mix it all using your bare hands.
- After that heat the non-stick skillet, add olive oil and start to shape the meatballs. (work with lightly oiled hands, this way it is easier to shape them)
- Bake them both sides for 10 minutes in medium heat. Cover the skillet with lid.
- When meatballs are ready then add the tomato sauce, let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally you can serve your meatballs and sauce with pasta or fresh bread(or both).
This recipe is for 4-6 person so why not serve it for your guests for the next dinner party! Although in case you have many friends coming over, you might want to double the amount of ingredients! You could, of course, also offer them my beef liver pate bread bites and maybe cinnamon rolls for dessert.
La Pura Vida