Can Brownies Be Healthy?
It might be surprising but if you make them with healthy alternatives, they can. Of course it is all about the amount you are having. Anyway, stay tuned to find out how to make healthy brownies!
Today I’ll show you how to use sweet potato in your brownies – it is highly nutritious! From 100g of sweet potato you get 283% Vitamin-A, which is a daily value. You need Vitamin-A for normal immune system work, for your skin health and vision. I think we all should eat sweet potato a little bit more, and what could be better than “hiding” it in the brownies.
The second highly nutritious ingredient that we’re going to use is raw cacao. Cacao is actually the purest form of chocolate (don’t mix it up with cocoa, which is roasted cacao). Per 100g of cacao you’ll get 124% of your daily value of magnesium, 77% of iron and 43% of potassium. PS! Potassium is one of the most important mineral that our body needs. It helps our nerve system to operate, also it regulates fluid balance and protects us against strokes.
Third super food that we’re going to use in our healthy brownies is dates. Did you know that dates are fruits from the palm tree?:) They are high in antioxidants and also in fiber. In addition they are perfect natural sweeteners. Because they have a high fiber level in them, they are good for your digestion and they also keep the blood sugar under control.
And last but not least in my super food list is coconut flour. It is also high in fiber and it doesn’t spike up the blood sugar levels. It is gluten free and it means that also people with coeliac can enjoy these tasty healthy brownies as well.
How To Make Healthy Sweet Potato Brownies?
- 1 big sweet potato (about 450-500 g)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 3 tablespoons of coconut flour
- 4-5 tablespoons of cacao
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 8 dates (if they are dry soak them over night)
- 0,5 teaspoon of baking powder
- pinch of vanilla
- pinch of salt
- handful of nuts and different seeds
- Cut sweet potato into a slices but do not peel them! There are many vitamins in the skin. Then put them into casserole and add some water and one teaspoon of cinnamon. Bake for 30 minutes / 160 degrees. Or until they are soft. Can you smell the aroma?
2. When the potato is ready and cooled down, put it into a blender or food processor and blend till it is smooth. Then add dates and honey, if needed add a bit of water as well. Preferably the baking water from the casserole. (I had to use some extra water because my blender is not as powerful as it should be)
3. Then take a bowl, add the eggs and whip them up, then olive oil, cacao, another teaspoon of cinnamon, baking powder, vanilla, salt, nuts and seeds.
4. Now mix it all together with potato smash. Then add the coconut flour.
5. Preheat the oven, use medium size glass casserole. Put the baking paper into the casserole and add brownie dough. Bake for 40-45 minutes / 160 dergees.
6. Check the cake with toothpick before you take it out. If the toothpick is clean and dough doesnt stick onto it, then your brownies are ready.
7. Cut the brownie when it is cooled down so it doesnt crumble.
Serve them together with this healthy ice cream and don’t forget to let me know how they were!
La Pura Vida