How To Make Healthy Banana Bread?
I experimented four times to get this beautiful, juicy and healthy banana bread recipe right. There were many obstacles on the way 😀 At first I tried to make it with soaked dates but I didn’t like it because it made the bread super wet and it did not rise properly. The other time there was too much baking soda… not so good either. But in the end I got it just perfect! Of course this is subjective but I noticed that I liked it much better on the next day because you can taste different flavours much better when it has cooled down. And I love sweet breakfast anyway 😉 I also recommend to use some nuts, they add a nice little crunch for the banana bread. But enough talk – lets get to work now!
Banana Bread Recipe
- 2 big mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 75 g (4oz) olive oil
- 120 g (5.6 oz) honey
- 1 egg
- 220 g (9 oz) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of soda
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- pinch of vanilla
- different nuts
- Firstly peel and smash bananas with fork. Then add milk and mix it up.
- Add some olive oil, honey and also an egg into a big bowl and whip it up.
- Now add banana mixture, salt, soda, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Last step is to add flour and nuts. The consistent of the dough is quite liquid but don’t worry – this is normal.
- Put the dough into a non-stick bread form.
- Lastly bake it for 55 minutes on 160 degrees (320F).
Healthy Banana Bread Filling Ideas
So if you want something extra in to your banana bread, I have some ideas for you.
For example you can make it with dark chocolate nibs, dried fruits or nuts. My favourite healthy banana bread is made with pumpkin seeds and almonds. Another option would be to use an extra banana (or half of it) and in addition you can make it with cream cheese filling! As you can see there are many many different options.
So try it out and let me know how it turned out for you. Also give me some hints if you discover some ingredients that make it even better! Take care!
La Pura Vida