How To Make “Carnitas” Tacos?
Hi everyone! I just watched a documentary about Latin American food in the morning and because of that I suffered from wild cravings for Mexican carnitas tacos. So without second thoughts I took my “carne” out and slow cooked it for about 6 hours. Carnitas is really similar to pulled pork but you do not rip it apart, you just slice it into nice juicy pork chunks instead.
Actually I even had some corn tortillas in the kitchen, but as I watched the documentary, I left them be and went to buy some lime and corn flour. It somehow motivated me to make them properly, from scratch! In fact I have never made my own tortillas, usually I buy them from grocery shop and they are not even made from corn. And that is definitely not a proper tortilla, if it is not made from corn flour. Tortilla means corn flour flat pancake in translation and if you add some meat, salsa and fillings, well, then it becomes taco.
Salsa can also be different. You can use green salsa, red salsa or guacamole. Today I’m going to use red salsa and guacamole.
Another really important ingredient is lime! As a matter of fact Mexicans say you need to squeeze some lime juice on to top of your taco if you want it to be authentic!
Anyway, let’s get started!
NB! You can buy tortilla press from Amazon. Please note that the link underneath is an affiliate link which means that I will get a small commission if you go through with the purchase. It doesn’t mean any extra cost for you of course!
Carnitas Tacos Recipe
- 1,2 kg pork (fatty part)
- 1L chicken broth
- 1 big onion
- 4 garlic gloves
- 2 tablespoon of sweet mustard
- 2 tablespoon of red paprika powder
- 3 tablespoons of bbq sauce
- 3 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar
- tablespoon of salt
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PORK:
- Firstly mix mustard, red paprika, bbq sauce, olive oil, cayenne pepper, brown sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Then peel onion and cut into four pieces, peel the garlic as well.
- Now put pork into a slow cooker or glass oven dish and then cover the meat with marinade, add chicken broth, onions and garlic.
- Bake on 110 degrees for about 5-6 hours.
- Finally cut them into mouthful pieces.
INGREDIENTS FOR TORTILLA:
- 2 cups of corn flour
- 1.5 cups of hot water
- 1/2 squeezed lime juice
- pinch of salt
INSTRUCTIONS FOR TORTILLA:
- Mix corn flour and hot tap water, add salt and lime.
- Then knead the mix into a firm dough.
- Now divide it into 16 pieces. (I got 33-36g/16 piece dough ball)
- If you do not have a tortilla press then just put tortilla dough ball between the food film and press it flat with wooden cutting board.
INGREDIENTS FOR GUACAMOLE:
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 lime juice
- 2 garlic gloves
- 1 medium onion
- punch of cilantro
- 1 medium tomato
- pinch on pepper
INSTRUCTIONS FOR GUACAMOLE:
- So now it’s time to make guacamole. Firstly mash avocado, add finely chopped garlic, tomato and onion. Then add lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix them all together.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CARNITAS TACOS:
- Fry your tortilla in high temperature on the pan without oil! About 90 seconds on both sides is enough.
- Then add hot pork, guacamole or red salsa. Also some pickled peppers or pickles. Don’t forget to squeeze lime juice on top.
- Eat straight away so you can get the maximum out of them!
So hopefully you will enjoy your Mexican tacos as much I enjoyed mine! I actually had three of them in a row and after a short pause another one 🙂 One of my favourite bites ever! Once you have made all the componets, they are just perfect quick bites to have any time of the day!
La Pura Vida