How To Make Canned Borscht Soup At Home?
Hello my friends! I’ve got a question for you. Have you ever made canned soup? If not, then you are in a right place … and even if you have, then you are in a right place as well because today I’ll share another borscht recipe with you. First thought that most people get is that it would be a lot of work. Well, actually it’s not! And it is in fact super rewarding because you can make your canned soup at home exactly the way you like it and without any preservatives. This way you don’t have to struggle when you are not in the mood of cooking because you can just take a jar of your soup base, add a little water, heat it up and voila – a perfect dinner is ready.
With this recipe you get 6L of soup base which means 12L of soup so you will be sorted for a while! In order to make your canned soup you need 6 one litre glass jars with air tight lids. You will also need a big soup pot that would fit your 1,6 gallons of soup base.
So first I will explain how to prepare your jars. You need to boil all the jar lids and heat the jars in the oven for 25 minutes on 80 degrees celsius(175 F) to get rid of all the bacteria. Do it right before your soup gets ready because you need to fill them right away with hot soup and seal the lids tightly.
So let’s look at the recipe now!
Homemade Canned Borsch Soup Recipe
- 750 g carrots
- 1 kg beetroot (I use boiled)
- 500 g red onions
- 1 big cabbage (1.2-1.5 kg)
- 3 big potatoes
- 800 ml of tomato sauce
- 5 bay leaf
- 6 garlic gloves
- 5 tablespoons of white vinegar (5%)
- 2 lemons
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of salt
- 15 pepper grain
- Firstly peel and grate carrots.
- Heat your pot to medium heat, add olive oil, pepper grains and carrots.
- Then chop onions, beetroot and garlic. Add them to the grated carrots.
- Now slice the cabbage, peel and slice potatoes and add them as well.
- Then it’s time to add tomato sauce, bay leaves and season with white vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and salt.
- Now let it simmer with lid on medium heat until vegetables are soft.
- Time for tasting, add salt, pepper, sugar or vinegar if needed.
- Next we put the jar lids to boil and jars into oven (25 minutes 80 degrees C). This will sterilise the jars and keep our soup fresh for months.
- When jars are ready lets start to put soup base in, soup has to be boiling hot when canned. Seal the lids tightly!
Now, whenever you feel like making an easy dinner just take out a jar of your soup base and you are all set in about 10 minutes without a lot of messing around in the kitchen. Since we used 1 L jars you should add 1 L of water and you’ll have a dinner for 4. Now is also the time to add some pre cooked meat or sausages. Serve with sour cream, delicious!
La Pura Vida