Delicious Braided Cinnamon Bread
Hey guys! You know, there is a reason why I don’t post pastry recipes very often. The problem is that when I bake them, quite often I end up eating almost all of it faster than I wish for. Anyway, it’s been a while since my last baking and it is my sister in law’s birthday coming so I decided to share one of my favourite braided cinnamon bread recipes with you. It is a must be dessert on an Estonian birthday party so I will take it with me. Hopefully others will help me out eating it and I can avoid feeling guilty afterwards :).
You can make various sweet fillings for that dough but today we’ll bake classical cinnamon bread. Although I’m not using any today, you can add raisins, dried cranberries, nuts and chocolate if you want. It is a super easy recipe but it takes a bit more time because we will rise our dough twice. But I promise you, it is so so worth it!
Braided Cinnamon Bread Recipe
- 850 g white flour
- 500 ml milk
- 150 ml olive oil
- 150 g white sugar
- 50 g fresh yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 tablespoon cinnamon
- 150 g butter (soft)
- 0,5 tablespoon cardamom
- 100 g white sugar
- pinch of vanilla
- Mix yeast and sugar in medium size bowl till it is combined, then add warm (room temperature) milk.
- In another bowl mix salt and 400g of flour, add yeast and milk mixture and combine all together.
- Then cover the bowl with kitchen towel and let it rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Now add oil and two eggs into your dough and mix it.
- Last step is adding the other half of the flour (450g).
- Kneed tough, it will be quite sticky and that is ok. This way the bread will be super soft for many days.
- Then cover your dough again with a kitchen towel and let it rise for 1h in a warm place.
- Now start to make the filling. Mix soft butter with cinnamon, sugar, cardamom and vanilla.
- When the dough is ready put it into a well floured table and roll it into a rectangle.
- Spread the filling all over the dough and roll it together.
- Now cut that roll into half, leaving 1/2 inch at the end uncut and twist these two braids over each other.
- Place your braided cinnamon on an oven tray and cook it about 25-30 minutes on 160 degrees Celsius until it is golden brown.
- Cover it with towel to keep the bread nice and soft.
If this is not enough you can always try out my Japanese souffle pancakes recipe. Take care!
La Pura Vida